Bring your new baby home safely and comfortably. We’re sharing the 11 best car seats for infants in this post.
The arrival of a little bundle of joy is exciting. But sometimes, things can get confusing, too – especially when looking for the right baby equipment.
As a parent, we want our children to be safe at all times, particularly during a car ride. Putting a child in age-appropriate seats reduces the risk of death and serious injury in children.
What about when they’re just a newborn? An infant needs a rear-facing only car seat when traveling by car.
There is a myriad of choices out there, but what are the best car seats for a particular?
We have compiled 11 models that we think would suit you best on our list of best car seats for infants.
However, to select the perfect model for your situations read these factors to take into the equation first.
Factors to consider when choosing the best car seat for your infant:
Undeniably, there is more than one factor to consider when picking the right infant car seat for your little one.
Our top priority when choosing a car seat is of course safety. Rest assured, the car seats you can find on the market have passed multiple tests of safety – it’s part of the regulations set by the government.
However, note that car seats have an expiration date, which is usually 4-12 years after the fabrication.
Aside from that, the federal safety regulations around car seats are ever changing, so you should double check before buying an older model.
It sure is tempting to buy an all-in-one model right away and skip the infant seat. But this is not advisable for the first 8 or 9 months of your baby’s life.
An infant car seat, or a rear-facing only car seat, is specially designed for newborns and infants with special harnesses that limit the effect of an impact.
We recommend that you get an all-in-one model after your child has “graduated” from his infant seat. But to make it more practical for you, buy an infant seat that you can fit into a stroller.
Too many times, parents or grandparents skip the manufacturers’ notice which results in an incorrect installation.
Make sure to read the handbook carefully before trying to install it (if it’s your first time, don’t panic).
Cars made after 2002 have a special installation system called “Isofix” that facilitates installation since it secures the base automatically in the rear seats of your vehicle.
Once the installation is done correctly, you will want a model that you can attach and detach easily from the base.
In fact, we considered this too when curating our selection of the best car seats for infants.
The infant car seat’s size matters, especially if you have a small, made-for-city car.
Before buying one, check if the car seat will fit your car. If there’s an older sibling or siblings that will ride with your infant, make sure that each car seat can go in and be installed safely.
One of the things to check in this department is the length of the seat belts.
Since a car seat must fit your particular car model, it can be tricky to classify which one is “better” or “worse”.
That’s why our list below doesn’t follow a particular order (number 1 doesn’t particularly mean the absolute best and so on). We include the size information when necessary so you have an idea if it would work for you.
So, let’s get to it.
Here are the 11 best infant car seats that we think will be perfect for you.
The 11 Best Car Seats For Infants List
The Chicco Keyfit and Keyfit 30 have been on the list of the best car seats for infants for a few years now.
What parents particularly love about this car seat is the easy process of attaching and detaching it from the base.
What’s more, it also has a great feature for securing a seat belt installation called the Super Cinch One-Pull Latch. So you can have a complete peace of mind even on the days you’re not sure whether or not the seatbelts are secured correctly.
The Chicco Keyfit 30 is for babies of up to 30 lbs.
Note, however, that the base is slightly larger, so it may not fit in a small car.
This car seat comes with an adjustable base and is super lightweight (7 lbs) – ideal for the parent who will carry it often.
Parents love the easy installation process and the simplicity of the design. Plus, it’s easy on the wallet.
So if you wish to use your infant car seat with a stroller, you should check first.
The car seat is made for babies from 4 to 35 lbs.
The Mico Max 30 is a car seat that understands that mess happens when kids travel in cars.
You can remove the seat pad without having to remove the harnesses and buckles to wash it in the washing machine.
The base has a long design, however, which may not work well for small cars. Also, your child may overgrow it quickly.
You can use the Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat for infants of up to 20 lbs.
The Britax car seatsare included in the few ones who have passed both European and American safety tests. This explains how they make it into the choice of best car seats for infants for years.
The model provides an advanced level of comfort and safety. The strong base and comfortable foam come with robust features for impact absorption.
Check, however, if you can use it with a stroller from another brand.
The Britax B-Safe Elite is usable until your baby reaches 35 lbs.
Cheap doesn’t always mean not good.
This Baby Trend Flex Loc model makes it into our list of best car seats for infants for its sturdiness and the comfortable grip design.
The suede lining is great for comfort, and it comes with a boot cover to keep your little munchkin warm.
Its principal drawback is the weight (10 lbs) that limits its carriable feature.
The Flex Lock is for babies of up to 30 lbs.
What’s great about the UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat is the light weight and features that ensure safe installation (red to green light when it’s secure and steel stability leg that goes until the car floor).
This model can fit UPPAbaby strollers, but usually, needs an adapter.
It also has a modern design that appeals to many parents.
It’s for children of up to 35 lbs.
A new contender on the list of the best car seats for infants, the Mico AP passed the crash tests with flying colors.
Parents love its easy-to-install feature, style, and light weight. The Maxi-Cosi Mico AP Infant Car Seat, Red Rumor can be used with strollers from other brands.
This model fits children of up to 22 lbs.
Another Graco on the list, this model features the Click Connect easy installation. Its ultra light weight is highly appreciated by parents, as well as the price.
It comes with an excellent easy-to-read leveling system, which can tell you if the car seat is securely installed or not.
Easily fixed on a Graco stroller, it may not fit other brands.
It’s for babies weighing up to 30 lbs.
Its price may turn off some parents, but the Aton 2 comes with great safety features, including stabilizing load leg and the LATCH feature for secure installation.
It goes perfectly with a Cybex stroller, but if you use another brand, you may want to check for compatibility.
The CYBEX Aton 2 Infant Car Seat is for kids of up to 35 lbs.
What we appreciate the most from the Onboard 35 is its Air Protect + that reinforces the energy absorbing features.
The easy-to-grip handle is a nice plus, allowing parents to carry it easily. The catchy color is appealing for many parents, too.
Its drawback lies in its length that is greater than the other models, so it may not be great for a small car.
This model fits for babies of up to 35 lbs.
Even though the price is wallet-friendly, the Performance Coupe transpires solidity, quality, and comfort.
The fabric lining is soft to the touch and has temperature balancing feature (no more fussy baby because he’s too cold or too hot).
Many parents also like the large canopy that can be fixed or detached without moving the harness.
Although it comes with a base, you may want to buy an extra base to make it fit certain cars more easily.
The Performance Coupe is designed for babies of up to 35 lbs.
Conclusion: Best Car Seats For Infants
When picking an infant car seat, there’s no particular one to rule them all. There are some other things you need to take into consideration, such as budget, colors, and accessories available.
But we’re sure there will be one or more that you and your newborn will love from our list of the 11 best car seats for infants above.
When you have purchased yours, take it for a test ride but keep the tags and proof of purchase. That way, if it doesn’t fit, you can always return it and buy another one.
You can be sure that if you buy a new model, it has passed a rigorous testing process. You can have a peace of mind when driving your little one around or out of town.
If you have any questions regarding best car seats for infants, or you need help choosing one, you are welcome to contact us.
Check Deals On Other Best Car Seats For Infants Below
Check Related Best Deals on Amazon
Evenflo Embrace LX Infant Car Seat, Raleigh
6 used from $ 50.00
- 4-35 pound harness rating nationally recognized by safety advocates for low birth weight babies
- 25% lighter than comparable infant car seats light weight for mom; same protection for baby
- Adjustable auto base includes central pendulum level indicator to ensure a proper recline
- 3 shoulder harness positions for better fit and longer use
- Separate stay-in-car base allows for easy transfer from home to car
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat, Pierce
13 used from $ 71.68
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Rear-facing car seat helps protect infants from 4 - 35 pounds; and up to 32", making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system
- These Graco infant car seats are rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US safety standards and reassure safety-conscious parents
- SafeSeat Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213
Evenflo Nurture Infant Car Seat, Jungle Safari
1 used from $ 61.73
- Separate stay-in-the-car base allows for easy transfer from home to car via the ergonomic easy-to-carry handle; Also available separately
- 5-point harness with 3 shoulder harness and 2 crotch buckle positions for better fit and longer use
- Auto belt guides for use without a base if preferred
- Canopy shields baby from the elements
- Energy absorbing foam liner provides added safety and comfort
Graco SnugRide 30 Cick Connect Infant Car Seat, Kyte
3 used from $ 59.03
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat for easy carrying
- Grows with and helps protect rear-facing infants from 4 to 30 lb. and up to 30", making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system
Evenflo LiteMax 35 Infant Car Seat, Riverstone
8 used from $ 72.15
- VERSATILE & CONVENIENT: This Rear-Facing Infant Car Seat fitting newborns and babies from 4-35 pounds includes a stay-in-car convenience base that minimizes overall parent effort
- TESTED & TRUSTED: In addition to meeting or exceeding all applicable federal safety standards, this car seat also passes Evenflo’s comprehensive Side Impact and industry leading Rollover Test Standards
- LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO CARRY: The extremely lightweight design equipped with a padded, ergonomic handle is uniquely crafted to make carrying your infant or newborn as comfortable as possible
- EASY TO INSTALL: The LiteMax 35 comes with an easy to install base equipped with a two-step vehicle belt lock-off for a quick and secure installation and provides 4 recline options top optimize your child's comfort
- OTHER VALUABLE FEATURES: Buckle pockets that neatly tuck the buckle tongues away, machine washable pads, removable head and body pillows, and full coverage canopy to protect your child from the elements
Britax B Safe 35 Infant Seat, Black
9 used from $ 105.39
- Safe Cell Impact Protection is an integrated system of safety components that works to protect your child beyond federal safety standards.
- Impact-absorbing base compresses to reduce the rough force of a collision.
- Impact-stabilizing steel frame offers superior strength where you need it most: at the connection point to the vehicle.
- Click & Go stroller compatibility allows you to pair the seat with any Britax stroller to customize the perfect travel system. No adapters necessary.
- Proudly engineered, tested and made in the USA with global components for top safety and quality.
Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat, Saturn
3 used from $ 40.99
- Side impact tested, Meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side impact test standard
- Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the Federal crash test standard
- Multiple shoulder harness positions for better fit and longer use
- Upfront harness adjustment and buckle release allows easy and convenient adjusting
- Integrated body cushion gives added comfort to baby and an easily removable head pillow for older children
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30/35 LX Infant Car Seat Base, Black
7 used from $ 28.53
- Click connect system provides a one-step secure attachment
- Car seat base features integrated belt lock off for easier seat belt installation
- Easy to read level indicator helps eliminate guesswork from the installation process, so you can feel confident it's been done right
- Fits with Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30/35 LX infant car seats
- Black car seat base
Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Blue Coral
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3-in-1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds, Forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning booster 40-100 pounds
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go's side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- EASY IN, EASY OUT: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it's easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- QUICKFIT HARNESS: With the QuickFit Harness you can easily adjust both the harness and headrest in one simple step
- WASH AND DRY: Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad features snaps that make it simple to take off of the seat; no fuss for truly easy cleaning
Summer Infant Snuzzler Infant Support for Car Seats and Strollers, Black Velboa
2 used from $ 9.53
- Helps support baby's head while seated in car seats, strollers, bouncer seats and infant swings
- Perfect fit for all babies and preemies!
- Separate head support adjusts length-wise as baby grows for a custom fit
- Reversible for two style options
- Crash tested for safety